When someone like Mark Mulcahey thinks about a wrap-around, something like meat wrapped around meat pops into his mind I'm sure.

I've heard of these. Someday I'll eat one.
When I think of wrap-arounds, the first image in my head is the blue wrap-around skirt with the tie knot at the top I remember so vividly my Mom wearing during most of my childhood. Mom, you get points for frugality, talent (I'm sure you sewed it yourself) and for being consistently skinny to fit in the same skirt for years. I looked for a picture of the skirt and this is as close as I could find:
Another wrap-around is me trying to wrap my mind around buying diapers again.
And changing them all day every day. And soon having smelly ones in the garbage can. Hum. Still wrapping around that one.Closely related are the paper roses that are suddenly blooming in our bathroom. See, Lilly has been attempting to take care of her needs in the bathroom independently by taking a 30 foot length of TP and wrapping it around and around and around her fingers and then it's supposed to be "used" but instead these little blooms end up all over the bathroom floor.
Anne has always had a knack for being able to wrap her mind around the reality of things:
August 17th, 2005 was when Anne got 2 letters from Grandma and Grandpa Sykes who are in Long Island. Anne wrote them letters and they wrote back. Anne read them silently and after she read Grandpa’s letter she chuckled and commented to me that Grandma must have written that letter and signed Grandpa’s name. I asked why she thought that and she told me that it was because it said, “Love, Grandpa” and Grandpa didn’t write that because Grandpa doesn’t do stuff like that.
And at the same time, she's able to wrap her arms around her little sister:
On Friday, June 10th, 2005 after Lily had her 2 month check and immunizations, Lily was very sore and cranky after her shots—every time we moved her or touched her, especially around her leg area, she just fussed and cried. It’s not like her to be so fussy. We all felt so bad for her. Anne and I were looking down into her carseat and expressing our sympathy for Lily to each other and Anne remarked to me, “I wish I could take her place.”
Will's favorite wrap-around:
I found a conversation that I had with Isaac when he was 5, almost 6, that demonstrated what he was trying to wrap his mind around back then:
During breakfast Isaac started asking me deep questions that I was interested to hear: “How did God become alive?” I told him I wished I knew and I thought that when we got up to heaven we’d be able to understand the answer to that question and lots of other answers to questions like it. Isaac was pleased with that answer and started getting excited as he thought of more things he would understand, “Yah, like ‘How did He become a baby?’ and how He got made and how nothing appeared before we were up in heaven.”Indeed. Still wrapping around that one too.
Also, I started looking through iPhoto with the kids last night and noticed how well Pa has got Lilly wrapped around his little finger:
As for now, I think I'll spend the rest of the day unearthing a blue blankie to wrap around someone new in a few days...
1 comment:
That skirt was more expandable than elastic. The pattern showed about 12 inch ties, but I figured I was OK as long as there were 8 inches to make my knot. Do the math - that's a lot of ice cream!
Post a Comment